Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Artwork: Hornet

     Technology hates me. I know what you're thinking. Your'e thinking "Ha ha! this is another one of John's wacky exaggerations. he's antropomorphizing for comic effect. ". Well, it's not and I'm not. Seriously. Technology actually hates me. Time and again I've listened to my Tech-savvy friends who are trying to coach me through an apparently simple problem say things like: "It's actually a very common problem, to fix it you merely have to...um...HOLY HELL! How did it just DO that??!?!??" and then spending the next three hours trying in vain to fix what it took me an accidental keystroke to do . I once completely and irreparably incapacitated a Netbook merely by trying to change the background image. The only logical explanation for half of the stuff that happens is that the machine in question has taken a instant dislike to me and is acting with Malice Aforethought. The reason that I'm telling you this is so you will fully appreciate  the fact that I figured out how to upload pictures here.
I Proudly Present to you my first ever blog post of my Artwork!
s

 This Hornet is hand carved from a solid block of Basswood. She is 6"long 4.5"tall and 2"wide at her wingtips.
I think wasps and hornets are actually quite attractive and interesting social insects.



I used a simple linseed oil finish to highlight the natural grain patterns.


you'll notice that the legs, wings and  antennae are mostly carved cross-grain because...well because I am a terrible show off, to be honest.

Notice the way the light comes through the edge of the wings?
Yeah, they're really that thin!

I wanted to show you a few different angles here. so you could
get the feel of the piece. Hopefully I'll get better at photographing
sculpture soon



Well, that's all really. I hope you enjoyed it

1 comment: